Child Life Assists Children and Families
Being in a children’s hospital can be very hard for kids. They are in a strange place with strange people, they often don’t feel well, and they may be separated from family and friends for an extended period of time. At Sunrise Children’s Hospital of Las Vegas, our Child Life Specialists assist children and their families during a hospital stay—here’s an overview of what these crucial members of the pediatric hospital team do.
- Child Life Specialists can help kids prepare for surgery or medical treatment by using toys or dolls to explain what will happen. They can also offer age-appropriate information and counseling for the child and can help parents learn how to reassure their children about upcoming procedures.
- For kids, spending time in the hospital can be very boring. A Child Life Specialist has a wide assortment of games, toys, books, and movies for kids to use during their time in the children’s hospital. The excitement of looking forward to a new toy or game each day can take the edge off the boredom—and fear—of being in the hospital.
- The Child Life Department also sets up activities involving other kids in the hospital. These may be group games, painting, storytelling, arts and crafts, or holiday celebrations. The kids look forward to socializing with others their age, and their parents can get a well-deserved break for coffee or a snack while the kids play with their new friends.
- When a baby is in the NICU, it can seem very scary to visiting siblings. A Child Life Specialist can help prepare siblings for their first visit with his or her newborn sibling, making for a happier visit for the entire family.
At Sunrise Children’s Hospital of Las Vegas, we provide children’s emergency care, pediatric care, NICU services, and so much more. Visit our website or give us a call at (702) 731-5437 to learn more about us, our services, and our commitment to both you and your little ones.
- What Is the Impact of Lung Cancer on Children?
- How does pediatric surgery differ from surgery for adults?
- How donating blood can save a child’s life
- 7th Annual Hogs & Heifers Saloon “Miracle on 3rd Street” Motorcycle Run & Toy Giveaway benefiting the Nevada Childhood Cancer Foundation!
- How to Relieve Your Child’s Sunburn